Sunday, February 20, 2005

Kyoto Treaty

I have been reading some posts about this issue recently and am also furious that our President hasn't included our nation in the protocol. We are by far the largest polluting nation in the world, even though our population is much smaller than countries like India and China. We have a responsibility to join and ensure the protection of our environment and our resources. I hope people are writing both the president and the EPA and asking when we are going to become world leaders in this issue!
What I actually wanted to say was, in reading about this issue, I have found a few companies that are going ahead with the requirement of the protocol even though our country hasn't joined. Now, I'm not saying that any of these countries deserve sainthood or even an award. But I do think they are doing the proper thing by recognizing the risk of doing nothing. Two major companies that have been ahead of the EPA for years, and are currently compliant with the Kyoto protocol are Dupont and Chevron. I found this out simply by using google news and reading a few articles. I hope that other companies follow their lead despite the ignorant example set by our President.

3 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

write a new post already...

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second that motion. IT's hard to frequent this blog, when it's infrequently updated. rrrrrrrrr

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are your sources to say the US is the most polluted country. I believe Japan has just as much pollution ( and they are introducing the Kyoto treaty) and are about the size of California. We do cause more air pollution than China and India individually, but they are quickly catching up to us as they in industrial business and gasoline powered transportation. Which will in turn create more demand for oil driving the price even further up, more so for Americans who treat there gasoline more than other countries who allow "dirtier" fuel to burn into the air. I agree we need to protect the enviroment, but meeting the standards of Japan won't do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home