Monday, April 18, 2005

Williams Settlement

Here in California our public school system is about to undergo major scrutiny thanks to the ACLU. Statewide accessors will be going school to school making sure bathrooms are functional, ceilings are leak free and that every classroom has enough text books for each student. I had heard some things about the Williams settlement before and decided to do some reading up on the subject recently. I think that what it does is really important, but I also feel frustration. I came from a school where most of the students probably lived under or near poverty. I went into high school never having taken algebra and with very little science education. I don't blame my teachers, most of them had a true love of teaching (or at least projected one) and put effort into what they could teach us with thirty year old text books and limited materials. Luckily, I had educated parents who were able to fill in the blands that my grade school couldn't. Most children aren't so lucky. What frustrates me is that the state had to be sued to make such fundamental changes. Our future, our job market, our economy, our quality of life and everything else starts with our education. Why can't we provide a quality education for every child in the state, yes those living not just in the O.C. but also in Oakland, and East L.A. and Sanger and Woodville and every other small or poor or crime ridden community that gets ignored by our legislature? Why should any student have to suffer through mold ridden class rooms or broken bathrooms? How can you learn if you don't have a textbook? I'm grateful to the Williams settlement and will be staying on top of how effective it proves to be in our class rooms.

6 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Alli, I took the liberty to repost this at my blog. Thanks

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Snave said...

Alli, I commented on your post over at Moose's place.

I have added a link to your site on mine!

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'ts aboot tiempo yuo potsed sumthin knew.
But it was worth the wait!

hirCs

P.S. fell frea to Korrect My Grammer.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yer Grammer is purfect.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applaud the students who had the courage to file the lawsuit and the ACLU for picking up the case. It is a good start to a long fight. Some school districts will do everything they can to comply because they realize their kids deserve a clean, safe campus and adequate materials. Sadly, we have districts that will drag their feet and stall as long as they can, for a variety of excuses. Publicity will help get the job done, so thanks for posting this article on your blog.

 
At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So were you (Or anyone else for that matter) looking for for information on Free Settlement Info ? If so , please see the link about settlement debt agreement . Any questions, just ask!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home